The box is a sewing box featuring thread spindles on the front porch along with magnets to hold needles. The inside has two compartments. The top is well padded to use as a pin holder and is totally removable so it can be set on table closer to the stitching being done.
I used a basic square box design but put it on a longer base to accommodate the thread spindles. The cuts used were rip, cross cut, miter and dado. I used table saw, drill press, router, air compressor nail (brad) gun and angle bracts to form corners at 45 degrees. I used wood glue and small staples to secure box parts. The exterior was covered with quilt pieces, quilt batting and paint. I put a base of heavy core poster board on bottom to protect furniture.
The hardest part of this project was learning to use the Tinkercad program. I used graph paper also to figure out layout of shapes for cutting MSD board. TinkerCad is a challenge since I didn’t realize I could not size the project to actual size, the TinkerCad base would only go to 39.9 inches and I needed 48 inches. The only other part I had an issue with was the brad gun since I was not as perfect with using it as I could have been, spacing of brads was not even. Also the holes for the thread spindles should have been deeper. The wooden dowels were ½ in diameter and were a bit small for holes I used.
All in all, this was a fun project once I relaxed about working in a crowded room and having to wait on equipment. (I am used to working in my own shop and building much larger things.)
Completion date Feb. 2021